En Español »
DanceAbility International’s mission is to encourage the evolution of mixed-abilities dance
by cultivating a common ground for creative expression for all people. The mission is accomplished through performance, educational
programs, teacher training and workshops.
The work of DanceAbility International helps decrease
prejudice and misconceptions
diversity in the
of dance, and by
extension in society.
“I believe that DanceAbility goes beyond movement exploration and is, for many people their
first opportunity to define themselves in their own terms and see that this dance form, like
their lives, has many options and possibilities.”
Mobility International U.S.A.
- DanceAbility will be performing at the on August 26th in Ashland, Oregon at 6:45 p.m.
- On September 7th, 2014, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. will present DanceAbility Day at the ScotiaBank Dance Centre in Vancouver BC! DanceAbility Day will offer local dancers and arts and disabilities activists an in-depth look at the groundbreaking work of Guggenheim Fellow and Ashoka Senior Fellow Alito Alessi (Eugene, OR). Activities include a talk, workshop and video presentation of Alito's international teachings and performances.
- October 9th-November 6th and November 13th-December 18th, Eugene, OR, Hilyard Community Center: DanceAbility is offering a class for teens called "EveryBody Can Dance". Two sessions will be offered. The first session runs from October 9th-November 6th on Thursdays. The second session runs from November 13th-December 18th on Thursdays. For registration, please visit the and type in the class barcode to register. The first session barcode is #111061 and the second session barcode is #111063.
- Long time dancer Emery Blackwell, of Eugene, Oregon, is retiring from his volunteer work with DanceAbility International, after 24 years. To honor Blackwell's legacy, we have created the Emery Blackwell Legacy Fund, to help spread the joy of dance. For more information, please visit our .
- The next DanceAbility Teacher Certification Courses will be in Austin, Texas, and Helsinki, Finland, in 2015. Details will be posted soon. A second-level DanceAbility Master Trainer’s Course will be in Uruguay in January, 2015.
On November 1st, 2013, our show, premiered in Eugene. Lead designer Frances Bronet and composer Jeffrey Stolet collaborated in dance, space and music to create this new full-length dance piece. Check out from Oregon Arts Watch.
To get involved with DanceAbility in Eugene, Oregon, try this DanceAbility method-based class: Certified DanceAbility Teachers Celeste Peterson and Emery Blackwell lead a dance improvisation workshop the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. See our and their for details (go to their Arts and Culture section, as well as the Schedule and Registration sections).
A DanceAbility class for teens will start up in Eugene in the fall (2014) every Thursday; email us for details.
- Check out our that gives an overview of our work, as we celebrate 25 years of groundbreaking dance.
- In the Eugene area, there are some businesses that will automatically give a percentage of your bill to DanceAbility International! Through their participation with eScrip or GoodDining, Market of Choice, Sizzle Pie, Davis, Turtle’s, Cornucopia, B2 Wine Bar, and others will help us provide more free or low-cost dance programming with your help!
See our for easy sign-up details.
Remember to follow us on and connect with us on
P.O. Box 51257
Eugene, OR 97405